Hello Beautiful People!
Are you hungry? I hope so because you are getting a hands-on demonstration video on how to make chilaquiles! My husband agreed to share his special recipe from page 12 of my novel, The Amazing Adventures of Selma Calderón. He even gives you tips on picking the best avocados.
Here are the ingredients:
All measurements are approximate based upon the quantity in the demo video.
Mild Olive Oil
Tomato Sauce (8 oz)
3 chipotle peppers (canned + seeds removed)
salt and pepper
Serve with avocado plus optional cotija cheese + cilantro
Onward to this week’s resources:
- Chef Magic + Human Condition: Award-Winning Chef, Samin Nosrat is the author of Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat: Mastering the Elements of Good Cooking who experienced another level of fame with her Netflix specialof the same title. Here’s a beautiful New Yorker interview titled, “I fail almost every day” that touches upon many aspects of her life, including living in the in-between.
- Music: Wash it Away – I stood in the ocean listening to this powerful song. I urge you to give yourself this gift by Nahko + Medicine for the People. I have so many favorite lines. Among them, “Today is a good day for my ego to die.” I am SO EXCITED about seeing him in concert next month! Also, check out Garden and Slow Down too. And I’ve shared it before, but I’ll share Dragonfly again because it kept me going during one of the most difficult times of my life.
3. On Women: This article titled: Matriarchies are Not Just a Reversal of Patriarchies is a deep analysis of what happens when women rule.
4. Change Your Pants, Change Your Life was the original title of this TEDx talk which is now called “Dressing for Confidence and Joy” — really though, it’s about this idea of inside out congruence. How do your insides match your outsides? It’s touching, funny and practical. Check out Stasia Savasuk’s take on life–it’s delightful.
5. Hair and Identity: I was thrilled to see Christin Brown featured in a recent issue of Forbes. She and her wife own the LunaBella Makeup and Hair salon. I met Chris and her wife Ashley at their other AMAZING business, Pura Luna Women’s Apothecary — which by the way, ships amazing her teas and so much more. They provide a vital home and sense of community to many of us. I’m inspired by their work, their leadership and general bad-a**ery when it comes to being bosses.
What you can do to help:
- Share, baby, share this post. People NEED chilaquiles, right?!
- Make chilaquiles!
- Make a new moon intention — go ahead WISH for something beautiful no matter when you read this.
- Let yourself feel the feelings this week. I’m learning more about what’s up energetically and folks keep telling me, it’s Pisces, on top of Pisces, on top of Pisces. And I’m all, “tell me what that means.” And from what I can tell, we take that watery energy and feel the feels. Cry if you need to cry–pay attention to what comes up, experience it and then let go and be cleansed. My riff on all of this. April Elliot Kent of Big Sky Astrology has a great post called, “Pisces New Moon: Surviving Quicksand.” There are many more experts out there like, Dr. M. Ruth McKants, Karen M. Rose, Kari Samuels, Vanessa Couto and Alex Myles.
And remember, find magic in the everyday! There are clues everwhere! For real.